'Gemtime' is the brand identity that currently defines a group of 28 successful New Zealand based retail jewellery stores, as well as the Head Office (located in Napier, NZ) that provides essential administrative support functions to Gemtime members - not least of which is a central invoicing facility.
Individual Gemtime store owners are collectively the shareholders of Gemtime New Zealand Limited - a public, non-listed Company formed in 1981. A well structured Franchise Agreement and Company Constitution provide defined operational and structural guidelines, and an elected Board of Directors is primarily responsible for identifying and implementing an overall 'vision'.
TOP OF PAGE
The "Gemtime" brand, Business
Plan and Marketing Plan underpin the business direction of Gemtime
stores. In order to become a Gemtime member, members purchase a stake
holding in the company "Gemtime New Zealand Limited". This investment
provides each member with ordinary shares, and entitles each member to
have an equal say when voting occasions arise.
Affordability of National Promotions
A National Marketing Budget, created by both a monthly advertising levy
paid by members and preferred supplier contributions, provides for the
major national marketing activities that all stores participate in from
year to year.
"Preferred Supplier" Relationships
Based on a range of defined criterion (including: historical levels of
member purchases, estimated future levels of purchases, strength of
working relationship, delivery reliability, etc), "Preferred Supplier"
status is awarded to qualifying industry suppliers. These companies, in
return for favourable trading terms:
- Are given the opportunity to feature product in appropriate nationally promoted catalogues
- Are invited to attend Gemtime-specific Buying Meetings
- Can enjoy the central invoice service performed by Gemtime's administration team
- Are invited to take advantage of opportunities to produce particular customised product specifications from time to time.
there is strong support shown by members towards New Zealand based
Preferred Suppliers (which constitute over 75 % of all current
Preferred Suppliers), we have equally well established trading
relationships with a relatively small set of overseas Preferred
Suppliers - mostly of Australian origin.
National Group Meetings take place three times per year - typically:
- Late February / early March
- Late May / Mid June (*)
- Late September/ early October
(*) The mid-year meeting takes place in conjunction with Gemtime's Annual General Meeting.
Group Meetings are organised well in advance of the event (several
months in fact), and apart from providing for typical business matters
to be discussed in an open forum, guest speakers (industry
practitioners, professional motivational speakers and commerce
academics) deliver uplifting presentations, and informative workshops
take place to increase members' knowledge in a particular area through
hands-on demonstration/participation (e.g. e-mail operations, or web
In between national
meetings, clusters of stores gather together on a regular basis in a
regional meeting format. Quite often, this format gives members the
opportunity to discuss and develop issues that are then later presented
in national meetings. Current members consider that regional meetings
are an excellent way of maintaining close communications with other
members, and are a good platform for exchanging ideas.
Identification of Product for National Promotions
Product that is destined to feature in catalogue-based promotions is
carefully chosen by an appointed team of highly experienced members
called the "Product Selection Committee (PSC). These members meet
approximately three times per year to deliberate meticulously over
jewellery product that has been submitted for consideration by invited
TOP OF PAGE
- A Franchise arrangement which is backed by a defined credible brand
- A defined Franchise Territory
- Access to a human resource base that offers a wealth of knowledge, experience and support - both the membership and the administration team
- Professional and effective marketing initiatives - catalogue promotions, advertising in national magazines, in-store staff incentive programmes, etc
- Access to a well structured and all encompassing Staff Excellence Training Programme - developed and written internally
- Participation in the AA Rewards Programme as a partner - access to a significant customer rewards programme population base
- Agent for Q Card and Farmers Card - convenient customer payment options
- Approved suppliers to Vero Insurance Company
- A comprehensive, certified on-line retail presence at www.gemtime.co.nz
- E-mail communications throughout the membership
- A Gemtime member-only 'Intranet' (On-line Business Menu) - Send group e-mail, update web site store details, add product into Jewellery Galleries, offer product for sale to other members, etc
- Central billing facility to process purchases made through Preferred Suppliers
- Three well organised and professionally executed National Conferences per annum
- Access to a professional consultant to upskill in management areas
TOP OF PAGE
Gemtime Head Office
administrative centre of Gemtime NZ Ltd, consisting of the Chief
Executive Officer, an Office Manager and an Office Assistant, provides
the following services to Gemtime members:
a process for single cheque clearance of purchases from "Preferred
Suppliers" each month, saving members significant administrative time
in their stores.
- Collates, and
reports on, performance pertaining to a range of trading parameters,
including the tracking of "member turnover", "members' purchases from
preferred suppliers", "product sales by main product categories", etc.
- Offers operational advice to members as/when requested
- Provides direct input into the preparation of an annual Marketing Plan Prepares the Company Business Plan
- Plans and facilitates National Conferences in different venues - executed three times per year
- Oversees the development and maintenance of the Gemtime web site - www.gemtime.co.nz
the activities of the "Product Selection Committee" - facilitating the
ordering and arrival of jewellery product that is selected to feature
in any given catalogue
- Publishes a periodic bulletin titled "Gemtime Gazette"
Marketing/ Promotional Activities
New Zealand Limited has a well established and fine-tuned working
relationship with a highly credible and innovative contracted marketing
company, who have developed effective sales inducing promotions for
Gemtime members for over 15 years. Comprehensive "Promotion Review
Reports" are published following each major promotion in order to
identify overall sales, store-specific sales, sell-through and GP
achievements. These outcomes are reported to firstly Directors, and
then to the wider member group at National Conferences.
formal Marketing Plan is produced each year, serving to define the
strategy and activity plan for 12 months ahead, which is then agreed to
by members prior to implementation.
Board of Directors is appointed by members to make most of the
important operational decisions on their behalf. In most cases,
individual Directors are assigned specific portfolios to administer -
ranging from "Supplier Liaison" to "Promotions Sign-off". The Board
Chairperson co-ordinates the proceedings of both Director Meetings and
operate their respective stores in accordance with the provisions
detailed within their Franchise Agreement and/ or Company Constitution.
Members have developed an effective "Buddy System" which means that
timely information is exchanged between store owners (including
requests for product and successful selling secrets) - either
one-to-one, or in a regional group format.
the investment in Gemtime New Zealand Limited is the same for all
members, all members have equal voting rights when occasions arise
requiring members to confirm their preferred view on a relevant issue.
TOP OF PAGE
If you are currently either an independent retail jeweller who would like to explore the option of being a "Gemtime" member in more depth, or you perhaps have in interest in establishing a brand new jewellery store and consider that the "Gemtime" brand, livery and structure may provide a suitable business platform for your new venture, please feel encouraged to contact the Head Office of Gemtime New Zealand Limited by any of the following mediums...
To complete our "Customer Contact Form" please Click here
Send an email from this link: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Gemtime New Zealand Limited
P.O. Box 48 Napier
Phone : 64-(0)6-843-4337
Fax : 64-(0)6-835-0658
Upon receiving your enquiry we will make contact with you immediately. We are happy to provide answers to questions that don't present an impingement on commercial sensitivity.
TOP OF PAGE